Sunday, July 6, 2008

village sangatpur

To santokh

My grandfather's name was hardit uday singh sohanpal also known as bauji in the village. as many villages in punjab have the same names , ours is near phillaur, on phillaur nurmahal road, the adjacent village being partapura, if i have the spellings right. my daughter tells me to check my spellings, but i am too lazy; also my english is not too perfect either , but i can be given a little leeway considering i studied in a hindi medium school(are u reading???). anyways to get back to the subject the railway station near our village was partapura, about 1 km away. when my mother was studying in phillaur, my great grandfather used to watch out for her coming home from a telescope which was installed on the roof of the house. In those times it was the only three storied pucca house in the village. I'll have to get back to my mother to find out about yours. By the way mostly people know her as matta

1 comment:

santokh said...

Hi Preet
Thanks for the reply and it is definitely the same pind. As I said earlier you can see Partabara from our rooftop. My grandfathers name was Jawala Singh and we have the bheari tree that grows through and over our balcony.Rumour has it that it can only be cut by a certain persons family. Also the tree on the entrance to our pind as you come from Nuirmahal was planted by my uncle. There were intially two trees, one either side of the entrance, however only one remains.

Santokh